Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Of Birthdays and Hearing Aids

Today's my twenty-fifth birthday. I am now a quarter of a century old.

...I do need to stop putting it that way.

I finished watching series 5 of Doctor Who (the "reboot" or whatever you want to call it), did some reading, went for a walk, and went out to eat with my family. We went to a favorite restaurant nearby that had closed down temporarily, and reopened in a slightly new location. I may have eaten too much, and need to do some digesting before eating cake and presents...so the post about those will be tomorrow.

What I can talk about today, though, is my dad's new hearing aids. In addition to other health problems, yes, he's got hearing problems. He couldn't even make his own appointment to get them over the phone, though he did try.

Dad got the hearing aids yesterday, and I guess this will sound strange since we live in the same house, but dinner was the first time I really talked to him since he got them.

Turns out that hearing aids take some getting used to, so he'll need time to adjust to them. And apparently, at least in my dad's case, part of that adjustment is speaking in a quieter voice. Possibly too quietly, whereas before he'd tended towards speaking loudly.

It also turns out that the hearing aids can "talk to each other," so when mom called dad today he was hearing her in both of his ears. That has to be weird.

It'll be interesting to see how adjusting to the hearing aids goes, and what other odd things I learn about them.

No comments: