Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Rattie Revolution

Perhaps it was inevitable. One night I had my rats out for playtime, and was gazing at my hanging herb garden. Then I thought...maybe my rats would like them.

A bit of research about rat friendly herbs and trip to get some plants and planting stuff resulted in fun times for my girls. Or for Kora, in particular. Niki likes the plants, and the dirt, but it's Kora who really gets excited and starts digging around.



And then of course, I just had to find aphids and a caterpillar on the lemon balm today...the latter is easy enough to take outside, but I'm not sure how to handle the aphids when it's something I want to eventually give back to the rats again.

Hungry caterpillar

There is something that surprised me, though. Other than the unexpected guests mentioned above. One day when I let Kora at the plants particularly long (the plants aren't in the cage 24/7, I'm not sure they'd survive that much love) I noticed that she kept taking things to her food bowl. Upon investigation, I found it was small rocks she'd dug up in the dirt that she was moving to the bowl.

I'm not sure what was going on with that. Maybe she was moving play toys to the food bowl, like I've seen cats do. Or maybe she thought they'd be good ammunition for the Rat Revolution. A while ago Niki threw food at me, so maybe Kora thought that rocks might be better for throwing.

Well, if the Rat Revolution comes to pass, I think you'll know who to blame for letting them find tiny rocks.

1 comment:

Madam Lost said...

The time to worry will be when they make tiny slings.