Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Thoughts...

We will have rulings tomorrow on Prop. 8 and DOMA.

And...this has got me thinking.

I've thought about marriage equality laws in terms of what they mean to other people. But I hadn't thought about them in terms of what they mean to me as a bisexual.

I'm dating a man, and I've never gone out with a woman, so I guess I've taken certain things for granted. Things like certain legal rights and how they apply to me. But in the last few days it really properly hit me that the law will treat me differently, based on whether I am with a man or a woman. And because I'm bisexual, I could have easily found myself with a woman.

...I know I could say more profound things about how the rulings will affect same sex couples, but I think I'd mostly be repeating things that my readers already know. And I know there are other bisexuals in opposite gender relationships who will consider themselves lucky to have fallen in love with the "correct gender," because it means they at least have the option of certain legal rights with their partner.

But of course, there are also bisexuals in same sex relationships who desperately want to marry and can't. Not to mention the gays who are screwed no matter who they fall in love with...

And thus are my thoughts after a long day, when it's too close to my bedtime.

Liberty and Justice have a hot make-out session

From VisibleFriends.net

Don't Liberty and Justice make a cute couple?

2 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

Isn't it incredible how things feel so much more real when they affect us directly?

Dancing With Fey said...

It felt real enough when I realized how it would affect a pansexual friend of mine. But it was definitely a shock to realize that it would also affect me.