Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

What I won't blog

I'm finding in my job hunt that interviewers usually ask about what sort of things I like to do with my time, and my immediate response is typically that I like to read and write. This sometimes leads to me mentioning that I have a blog or two, and there have been a couple of times when the conversation turns to whether anything and everything can go on this blog.

I won't discuss certain personal details on here. Sure, there are some personal things I'll discuss: that grandma being in hospice is messing me up, my sexual orientation, and sometimes my medical issues. But there are other more personal things I don't share.

Another thing I won't write about is work. Ok, so I may write a few vague details, such as generalities of what I'm doing, and sometimes things I've learned about myself on the job. Once a temp job is over I might share exactly what it was and who I worked for. You may even guess from my tone that I was really enthusiastic about a job, and that I didn't want it to end. But I definitely won't share my opinions of any employer on here, even if I want to rave about how amazingly awesome they are.

So I guess that really, what I won't discuss is my opinion of my employer.

Why is that? I'm glad you asked.

Thing is, sometimes an employer isn't so amazing, and I'm certainly not going to complain about that on this blog. Doing so seems pretty dangerous and, although others will risk it, I don't want to go there myself. And if I go from raving about one employer to saying nothing about the next, I don't want my silence to be noticed.

...side note, sorry I disappeared for over a week. Although I'm trying to come up with a good excuse for it, I really can't. I'll be better about writing posts now. Honest I will.

2 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

Discussing certain work details and certain things that happen at work in a public blog would be rather unprofessional. It is understandable to say things like, "I had a great day at work today," and such. But even saying things like, "Worked sucked today," might be a bit tricky.

Dancing With Fey said...

Yesterday I interviewed at a place that actually has a policy on what's not ok to say on places like Facebook and Blogger. Nothing unreasonable, it was mostly common sense stuff.

I generally figure that if it's questionable whether something should go on the blog, it shouldn't go up.