Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Appreciating Cummings

I had the strangest exam last evening.

We normally don't have exams at Marylhurst University. It usually goes that there are small assignments throughout the term, maybe a biggish one in the middle, and then a final project. (Not that the classes are easy...don't make the mistake of thinking that.) But there are a few professors in the English department who believe in exams, and I seem to have a knack for taking classes with them. I had two of the exam givers last term, and the third one this time.

One nice thing about the exam was that it was open notes and open books. Another nice thing was that because it was all writing out responses, we could do it on our personal computers computers and e-mail the document to the professor. There was lots of typing going on for about three hours.

But I guess the strange thing was the relaxed atmosphere. I'm not sure how to explain it.

Yeah, I guess things are pretty dull in my life when I'm writing about an exam.

Also, there was one amazing thing I discovered. We read an E. E. Cummings poem earlier in the term, and I revisited it during the exam. Well, remember I've been talking about letting myself feel emotions rather than think about them? I'd never been a huge fan of Cummings, but apparently I can finally appreciate him if I allow myself to feel his poems.

This probably shouldn't have surprised me, but it did.

Central Park

I know the photo isn't related to anything else in the post, but I figured that since I got on to talking about Cummings that I may as well find something that matches the beauty of his poem.

No comments: