Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Timeout for Mr. Lizard

This is one of those random details from life that I normally wouldn't write about, but Amber thinks this will come back to bite her later. And if it does, she wants to be able to look back at where it started. So, here it goes.

After spending a lot of time in the sun without sunscreen I was very sunburned, particularly my shoulders and upper arms. My skin was bright red (it still is) and it hurt (still does, though it's improving). So although I'd been quite fine with little Piper's toy lizard crawling on my legs, I had to object when Mr. Lizard started crawling on my shoulders. I didn't yell, or get angry, I just said something little like "Ouch, please don't, that hurts."

Piper though...I really don't know what exactly went through her head. I think even her mom is still trying to figure that out, and this isn't the first time she's seen this happen. It seems that Piper was angry at Mr. Lizard for doing something wrong, or else felt like she'd done something wrong herself, and decided to punish him for it.

I wasn't sure how to respond to this, and even Amber is trying to figure out how to handle it when this sort of thing happens. We tried explaining to Pip that we weren't angry and that Mr. Lizard could play on my legs, but that didn't help. It didn't even help when I put Mr. Lizard on my head, Piper just retrieved him and went on as before. Eventually Amber suggested that Piper could put Mr. Lizard in timeout.

The timeout idea is something that Amber hadn't thought of before, and it seemed to help. But it's also what she suspects will come back to bite her later, and Amber is already imagining that an eight year old Piper will try to put a boy in timeout. I find myself laughing at the thought, and hoping that it's at least for a good reason.

No comments: