Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The stupid BMI

My apologies for disappearing on everyone after I'd been so good about blogging regularly! Last Tuesday I became rather sick, and although I was able to muster the energy to complain on Facebook and to my boyfriend I had none to spare for blogging.

Luckily, I'm on the mend! Mostly.

I visited the doctor yesterday for the alarming new symptom of chest pains. (Nothing to worry about, luckily.) I'm so weak that I had to use one of the wheelchairs by the front door, and I'm wondering how long it'll take me to gain my strength back.

But that's not what I really wanted to write about.

What I want to share is that I weighed in at 108 pounds during the doctor visit.

Amazingly, the doctors didn't say a single word about my new illness induced weight loss. Despite my losing padding on my rear end and now my knees (I didn't know I had padding there to lose) so that it's painful, I'm still considered a normal and healthy BMI. Just barely, but still.

Maybe the fancy BMI system is off. Because it can't be normal to get a sore backside when sitting on a regular wooden chair.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sorry to hear you've been ill. I hope they figure out what the issue is soon.

And don't get me started on the BMI -- that useless crap measurement doesn't measure anything worth knowing about, in my opinion.

Dancing With Fey said...

At this point I just need time to regain my strength. But my doctor does also have me taking fish oil...part of the solution to my cholesterol blood work being off. lol

I'm afraid that I've taken the realization of how unhelpful the BMI is rather personally. I'm almost offended by it now, like it insulted me personally. Which is silly, but I'll get over it.