Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Just, WTF

Have you ever been so angry that you had to cope by plotting a blog post? Yeah, that's why I'm writing this one.

I happened across another rat lover and we were both exclaiming over what wonderful pets they are. Hey, us rat lovers just do this sort of thing. Another woman heard us talking about how good they are, and interjected with "Yes, until they start eating their babies!" The other rat lover vanished about when this new woman started talking about the crunching sounds that occurred when her former pet rat ate its babies.

I guess you could say that I was a bit shocked, though I had to admit that rats will sometimes eat their babies. That's true of a lot of animals. However, that isn't the norm as this woman seemed to suggest.

But wait, it gets better. And this isn't even what had me angry.

The rat's cannibalistic meal occurred during the family's Sunday dinner, and I'm guessing it grossed everyone out. So the woman happily told me that the next day she fed her rat(s?) to a snake. She apparently considered it appropriate revenge, and was obviously quite satisfied with herself.

She may as well have told me that she killed a kitten because it clawed her up.

Unfortunately I was too shocked to say anything at the time, and then I was too angry to do anything but politely keep my distance. I guess I tend to turn very polite when I'm angry. I also wondered to myself furiously WTF was wrong with her that she took some delight in sharing this story with me right as soon as she found out I love rats. And yes, she was delighted with herself.

Ok, let me get one thing straight before people comment: I don't object to people feeding their snakes live prey. Some snakes refuse to eat anything else, and I don't exactly advocate starving those snakes. But there's a difference between getting feeder rats and giving the snake your pet out of anger. Also, I doubt that most snake owners actually take pleasure from the very fact that they're feeding their snakes a living breathing animal. So, I don't see much in common between what this woman did and matter-of-factly giving snakes feeder rats.

By now I'm not even exactly angry anymore. Well, maybe a little. But not like I was earlier. I'm not sure what I am now. Maybe sad.

3 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

Nature won't be denied. Rats will be rats. Snakes will be snakes. And that is how the world works.

Sadly, part of of this nature circle, includes the fact that stupid people will be stupid people. I would tell you to ignore their idiocy, but I know that's easier typed than done--so go on and rant about it. I'm doing a lot of nodding.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

She treated her pet like a throwaway. Pets deserve to be loved and protected. I understand why you're angry.

Dancing With Fey said...

Magaly -- I hadn't thought about stupid people just being part of nature. Annoying, but remembering that might be helpful in the future.

Debra -- And if pets can't be loved and protected, it's time to rehome them with someone who can give them those things.