Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Manners, people...

I was busy volunteering, and the employee I was working with was doing some cleaning. I don't remember exactly what she was using, I think just some Windex and a rag. We'll call her Lily.

Everything was going fine, until this little old lady stopped Lily and said "You shouldn't be cleaning. Not with the baby." And she gestured towards Lily's tummy. Um...

It's fair to say that I was a bit shocked by the fact that this woman was giving advice based on a false assumption. I was reasonably certain that Lily wasn't pregnant, and this was confirmed when Lily whispered a few seconds later "I'm not pregnant!"

Lily wasn't exactly flattered by this woman's presumption, and I hardly think I need to explain why I think the woman offering her advice was out of line.

I'm still amazed at how much some people will stick their noses into other people's business, though. Why in the world do people do this?

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

They say you should never assume that anyone is pregnant until you hear them actually say they are. This story is a good illustration of why!

Dancing With Fey said...

I had already known that you shouldn't comment or ask, but failed to fully appreciate why until I saw this incident.

That being said, I think it may *sometimes* be a good idea for friends to say something. Like, when my mom didn't realize she was pregnant with me...when she finally figured it out and shared the news with her best friend, the best friend had known for long enough to have hurt feelings about not being told sooner.

Sorry, telling stories on my mom now... :)