Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Hard cider

I'm not much of a drinker. Until recently I could never drink any alcohol beverage straight, it had to be diluted with something else. For example, mixing sake with ginger ale.

Sure, I've been told that alcoholic drinks are an acquired taste. I get that. But I'd always said in reply that if it's an acquired taste, I don't want to suffer through acquiring it.

My boyfriend changed that.

Murray  recently put a hard cider in my hand. I'd refused some drinks from him before because I couldn't stand them, but didn't want to say no this time. And even though it wasn't pleasant it wasn't the worst, so I figured I may as well drink. (Plus I wanted to get tipsy.) So I took a sip. And another sip. And another..

After a couple minutes, I realized I actually liked it.

I've even gotten into my parents' hard cider at home since then, such as when I was so tense after my driving test. And drinking (and enjoying) straight beer doesn't seem so improbable now. Maybe I'll even be able to enjoy sake the way it's traditionally drunk someday.

I need to find some way of thanking Murray for introducing me to hard cider...I'm sure I can think up something. ;)

ps. To those who say that mixing sake and ginger ale is blasphemous, try it. It's delicious.

No comments: