Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Hillsboro libraries

As part of my previous job as an RFID tagger I got to visit numerous libraries in Washington County. Each library is unique, with its own feel and even its own history. Some of them I particularly liked, and I wanted to write about a few of them.

The first library we tagged at was Shute Park, which is the branch of Hillsboro library. Both have big windows, which I really love in a library. I like it when a building feels so open, especially when I can look out from between stacks of books and see a beautiful pond like I can at the main library.

In addition to the lovely view, Shute Park has a park (with swings!!!) in front of it and the main library has a coffee shop in the entrance. My employer said that all libraries should have coffee shops, and I’ve got to say that I agree with him on that. And a fireplace. All libraries should also have a cozy fireplace, which Hillsboro main library also has. If possible, they should also be cozy and homey, which Shute Park certainly is. The main library is a little too big to be cozy, but the view makes up for that.

I can’t really say which of the two are my favorite. One is cozy, but the other has coffee and a fireplace. I like them both.

Snowing at the main library

ps. I had a job interview yesterday morning for a restaurant. Wish me luck!

More snow! Outside the main library.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good luck with the job search!

Dancing With Fey said...

Thanks. :)

Toriz said...

Good luck with the job!

Comfy places to sit (including a cosy fireplace), lots of books, a nice natural view, and somewhere to get a drink and a bite to eat... Sounds like the recipe for a perfect library to me!

Dancing With Fey said...

Definitely. :)