Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Creation Unfinished

Some people talk about when the world was created, as though it was created and that was it.

But that wasn't it. The world is continually being recreated, with each new generation of humans and even as new galaxies form. On very personal levels and also on a cosmic level.

...and I feel like I should have even more profound things to say, but I can't even think of them. Or maybe I just have vague ideas that I don't know how to put into words yet. Or maybe I'm just afraid of sounding corny. I really should know which it is, shouldn't I? :)

I've been sort of thinking about unfinished creation in the last week. Why? Probably because I recently looked through some old needlework I did a couple years ago for my (failed) Etsy shop. I figure I won't sell those pieces now, so I gave one to my boyfriend for Christmas and put another one on my altar.

The one I placed my altar says "Praise then creation unfinished." That's a line from The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. le Guin. It's a masterpiece of a novel, and I've never had anything else on my altar that I found so thought provoking as this simple bit of needlework.

Needlework

Slightly off topic, but the needlework I gave my boyfriend was the opening line of Tolkien's The Hobbit. I also made a cross stitch Cutethulhu for him a couple months ago.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That is an AWESOME quotation.

Dancing With Fey said...

An awesome quotation from an AWESOME book. :)