Pages

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Yule celebrations

Tall One started the Yule fire on 4pm on Thursday. Yes I know that the solstice was the following day. But the exact timing of the solstice was 3:12 am, which made Thursday night the longest night. And it was a pretty good night. And yes, I confess...I dozed some of the last two hours before dawn.

I'm not sure how to write this well without breaking it into sections, so that's what I'll do.

...

There had been a question about whether we should start with a candle instead of a proper fire in the fireplace. This is because Tall One had to go to band practice that evening, which would leave me tending the fire. All alone. And me tending the fire unsupervised...that doesn't work too well. We've tried it. I'm no longer afraid of fire, but I'm still not sure how to keep it alive. I had to admit this even though I felt slightly insulted at the suggestion that I should tend a candle instead of a proper fire.

Luckily this problem was resolved when I was able to get my wonderful boyfriend to come and help. He does know how to keep a fire going.

While waiting for Murray to show up I did have to tend the fire myself for maybe 50 minutes. During that time I discovered the wonders of what newspaper and bellows can do. I'm quite proud of myself.

...

Speaking of bellows, this is the fix Tall One did to fix the one he used.

The bellows duct taped up

It's been used in previous solstices (including a summer solstice I think), and had developed a hole. Plus it wasn't that well made/designed in the first place.

Mom thought my boyfriend had fixed it, I guess because she didn't expect my brother to have camouflage duct tape. And she knows my boyfriend served in the military.

...

No one else had really been interested in decorating for the season, and all that had been done was that mom brought home a tree and we got it in a stand. And we watered it, of course.

I finally brought out decorations and started putting them up. Photos of the tree will probably be coming soon.

...

Mom finished a puzzle, and she also finished Discworld: The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett.

...

After mom went to bed (supposedly only for a nap) Tall One and I played the card game bloody knuckles. Apparently there are at least two versions of this game, and I would like to mention that we play what seems to be the less violent version. But it's still acceptable to laugh at your sibling's pain.

...

When dawn came I went outside to greet the sun through the rain. Then I went to bed. I was tired.

It was a good night, though.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That's a great tradition you have.

Dancing With Fey said...

Thanks. :)

Just realized, it looks like I asked Murray to come just so he could help with the fire...I'd been hoping he could come for a few hours even before I realized I would need help. Although I didn't actually ask until I realized I would need his help.